hosted by: Sujani Siva
To continue with our theme of public health consulting, we speak with Stephanie Hodges of Nourished Principles – a US-based consultative service that empowers individuals to make healthy, nutritious choices, and help communities, organizations, businesses, and schools to create healthier environments.
Stephanie has been consulting since 2015, and on the podcast speaks to us about her journey, the opportunity that consulting provides to work across different sectors and organizations, and tips for aspiring consultants.
- About Stephanie’s abrupt transition into consulting, after being miserable at work
- How consultants leverage their networks
- How Stephanie first reached out to prospective clients (by using postcards)
- Types of clients you can have in your business (including the importance of an “anchor client”)
- How to build relationships with clients
- Common courtesies to follow when reaching out to prospective clients via LinkedIN
- How she named her business “Nourished Principles” and what she would have done differently
- The importance of a support system for a consultant
- Different expenses to expect as a consultant
- Different revenue streams consultants have
If you would have asked Stephanie’s family what she would become when she “grew up,” a Dietitian would have been pretty far down the list. She was probably one of the pickiest eaters you could ever imagine and rejected every vegetable she was offered until she was about 20 years old. She found her niche in dietetics when she stumbled into her first nutrition course in college as part of her science major. Not only did she find the subject interesting, but the energy and passion for the field from professors and classmates was contagious and inspiring. From that experience, she knew she had found her calling and could not wait to become a Registered Dietitian to share her love of nutrition and public health with others!
- More about Stephanie and her work
- If you are interested in becoming a public health consultant, check out our public health consulting resources page for more info
Other PH SPOT resources:
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Interested in knowing how PH SPOT came to be? Read about the Accidental birth of PH SPOT.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
Before you go…
- Do you have a topic that you would like us to cover or a guest we should sit down with? Tell us using this form.
About the Show
PH SPOTlight: Public health career stories, inspiration, and guidance from current-day public health heroes
On the show, Sujani sits down with public health heroes of our time to share career stories, inspiration, and guidance for building public health careers. From time to time, she also has conversations with friends of public health – individuals who are not public health professionals, but their advice and guidance are equally important.