In this episode, Sujani shares a presentation she did last year to the ThriveHire audience. Having recently found this video, and listening to it again now almost a year later, we felt that the advice couldn’t be any more important right now. So we decided to put it up here on our podcast, as well as a little bit about our Infographics 101 course that ties in with tip #3. So, enjoy this episode, brought to you by Sujani, from the past ;)
- Sujani’s three tips for public health professionals starting out their careers
- Tip #1: Constantly think about building your network
- People and relationships will take you places: job opportunities, mentorship/advice, etc.
- Tip #2: Reflect, set goals, reflect some more & set more goals (and repeat)
- Look back, so you can look forward
- Tip #3: Make yourself stand out & shine
- How can you add value to your organization and make yourself stand out? And be valued?
- Developing a unique skill is one way to make yourself stand out, for example, being the one who can design infographics
After guiding a number of public health students and new grads over the past 7 years, Sujani created PH SPOT to reach, inspire and support public health professionals. Sujani enjoys seeing people around her grow and become the best version of themselves!
- Relevant blog posts and podcast episode mentioned:
- Podcast: Where will your MPH degree take you? Two lessons to mentally prepare for your MPH degree in the time of COVID-19, with Sujani Siva
- Blog post: Where will your MPH degree take you? (Part 1)
- Blog post: Where will your MPH degree take you? (Part 2)
- Blog post: Lessons learned after an #InterviewFail for a once in a lifetime kind of interview (why building relationships are important)
- Free ebook: 7 Things You Can Do Right Now to Advance Your Public Health Career & Set Yourself Up for Success
- Course: INFOGRAPHICS 101 – How to design public health infographics with softwares you know & use
Other PH SPOT resources:
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
Before you go…
- Do you have a topic that you would like us to cover or a guest we should sit down with? Tell us using this form.