hosted by: Sujani Siva
In this episode, we’re talking about preparing for your MPH degree in the time of COVID-19. Some of you may be feeling unsure about how things are going to be when classes start. Perhaps you’re feeling some anxiety, or have many questions around whether your experience is going to be valuable. We’re here to tell you that these feelings you are experiencing are valid. This episode is to give you a bit of comfort and to convince you that despite the changes we must face, you can still have a good experience.
In 2017, Sujani wrote a two-part blog post titled “Where will your MPH degree take you?”. She wrote this piece to reflect on her journey into public health. As Sujani reflects on the current situation we are in due to the COVID-19 pandemic, she couldn’t help but think about the new set of MPH students who will be embarking on their graduate program this fall. She was compelled to revisit this reflection to see if the same lessons still apply. (Spoiler alert: they do still apply!)
- The training you are embarking on is extremely important
- There are things you can’t control in this pandemic that will be affecting your MPH program/training
- Two important lessons that Sujani learnt during her MPH degree, and a reflection on whether they still apply in the current context
- These two lessons are: seeking your own opportunities and going above and beyond the bare minimum
- Examples on how to seek your own opportunities (lesson #1)
- Example of how Sujani went above and beyond the bare minimum (lesson #2)
- An invitation to talk about/reflect on your current feelings as you prepare for your MPH program
After guiding a number of public health students and new grads over the past 7 years, Sujani created PH SPOT to reach, inspire and support public health professionals. Sujani enjoys seeing people around her grow and become the best version of themselves!
- Original reflection (blog post)
- Places to look for experiences to go above and beyond the bare minimum:
- Sujani’s not for profit organization’s initial website – to show you how/where the organization started
- Interested to talk about how you are feeling about starting an MPH program during this time? We’d love to hear from you: email Sujani at email@example.com
Other PH SPOT resources:
- Never heard of a podcast before? Read this guide we put together to help you get set up.
- Be notified when new episodes come out, and receive hand-picked public health opportunities every week by joining the PH SPOT community.
Before you go…
- Do you have a topic that you would like us to cover or a guest we should sit down with? Tell us using this form.
About the Show
PH SPOTlight: Public health career stories, inspiration, and guidance from current-day public health heroes
On the show, Sujani sits down with public health heroes of our time to share career stories, inspiration, and guidance for building public health careers. From time to time, she also has conversations with friends of public health – individuals who are not public health professionals, but their advice and guidance are equally important.